The Eat Clean Challenge invites you to eliminate sugar, fried foods and refined grains from your diet for one month. Sugar, fried foods and refined grains are empty calories, high in calories and have little to no nutrition.
TIPS FOR EATING CLEAN!
– Replace sugary drinks with water or seltzer … but no diet drinks! Often times, drinks you assume are “healthy” such as pre-made smoothies have just as much sugar as a bottle of soda. So be sure to read labels … sugar may be in places that you did not expect. It also has other “names” such as sucrose (or anything ending in “one). Sugar is addictive … you will be pleasantly surprised how your body will slowly stop craving it as you reduce your sugar intake.
– Keep sweets and junk food out of your home and office to reduce temptations. Instead, stock up on healthy snacks for in-between meals, such as pre-sliced vegetables, almonds, hard boiled eggs, plain greek yogurt etc.
– What is a refined grain anyway? Refined grains have been milled, a process that removes the bran and germ. This is done to give grains a finer texture and improve their shelf life, but it also removes dietary fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Some examples would be white rice, white bread and white flour.
– Consider alternative whole grains such as quinoa, organic brown rice and millet
– Try to avoid most packaged foods and stick to whole foods, nuts, fruits and vegetables. Packaged food is processed food, which means they lack the nutrients whole foods provide.
– Avoid fried food. Period. Fried foods are high in fat which can lead to high cholesterol, weight gain and eating foods that have been stripped of their nutritional value.
Below is a quick tips guide you can print out and leave on your fridge!